Friday, October 26, 2007

Preparedness: Being prepared or in Readiness

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



I have been watching the frequent news broadcasts of the fires in CA and since I am on the other side of the US and so far removed from the scene, I cannot imagine the devastation that is happening in their area. I pray for these people but still cannot relate since I have only been through a house fire as a child and I am sure that cannot be the same as a wildfire.

The same is for the events in 2001. I watched it on television at the time it was happening. I remember the news reporters broadcasting and in shock when the second plane hit the second tower. Again, I am shocked at what I saw but being so far removed from the scene I cannot imagine the agony the people on sight must have been going through.

Now on the other hand, I am sure people in CA or NY cannot relate when it comes to a hurricane. In 2004, our state was hit many times over to the point of immobilizing certain areas of the state for a couple of weeks.

We cannot control the unexpected when it comes but if we plan for the future, the unknown, we will be better capable of handling the circumstances when the curve ball is thrown.

Preparedness is a state of being prepared or in readiness. Being prepared for the unknown is something we all should do in our personal and professional lives. We can never predict what will happen day to day or hour to hour.

In our lives, whether it be personal or professional, unexpected events happen and being prepared helps you to maintain some semblance of calm in an otherwise unordinary day. Think about this scenario, your neighbor does not have homeowners insurance but you do; you are better able to breathe a sigh of relief knowing your home is covered when/if the unexpected happens.

As a business owner, being prepared with a plan for disaster is not an option; it is a requirement. If you have not already thought about disaster planning, put it in your objectives and goals to start the planning process.

Most businesses and people start planning when the unexpected happens. Do not wait until a rainy day, start the planning process now. When the rain comes you will be in a better position for your efforts.

Carole DeJarnatt
Alliance Advisors, Inc.

No comments: