Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Planning for Networking Success

We are now into our third month of the year and I have been in the process of planning my marketing strategy. A big part of my strategy is networking. I believe the more relationships I build, the more likely the person or business will call me or refer me.

I recently wrote an article on networking and getting the most out of your dollar investment. Here is an excerpt from it:



Spending Wisely While Networking Smarter


Here are some other ways I prepare for events:


  • Depending on the type of event, plan my attire to the event. Attire is very important when attending events. If it is a trade show and as a business coach my attire would be a business suit. At an after-hours function, you will find a variety of styles so normally what I was wearing during the day will fit the venue.

  • Have an over-abundance of business cards. I cannot count the times I have met people that made excuses such as leaving them at home or ran out. Never let this be you.

  • Bring marketing materials. Even at a black tie event I always have materials in the car in case I happen to see an old acquaintance who asks me for a brochure or card.

  • Set goals. Perhaps my goal will be to connect with two new people at the event. Maybe it will be to meet the coordinator so I can volunteer to help or speak at their next function. Whatever the reasons, set a goal, make a plan, and take action.

  • Follow up on the actions. After the event, make contact whether it be by emailing, writing a note card, making a phone call; whatever your choice do not let a week go by without follow up.
Preparation in advance makes all the difference between a fun event and a discouraging event. I always feel more confident when I know what I want to accomplish and my plan of action. If I meet and exceed my goals, I am further ahead in my marketing plan.

Carole DeJarnatt
Alliance Advisors, Inc.

P.S. The full article is available for reading or publishing at Ezine Articles. Thanks for reading and feedback is always appreciated.

No comments: